TND Recipes

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 18:07:10 -0800
From: wing@666.com (Ben Wing)
To: jeff@cyborganic.com
Subject: Re:  TND

The recipes from last night come from two of my favorite cookbooks,
"The Joy of Cooking" (an oldie but a goodie) and "The Vegetarian Epicure"
(remember that I'm an avowed carnivore and non-tofu-soy-eater, so a
recommendation of a veggie cookbook has got to say something).

"Country Captain or East India Chicken Curry"

The Joy of Cooking, p. 472:

(I multiplied the following recipe by 4)

-- Cut up a 3-4 pound chicken into pieces.
-- Coat the pieces with seasoned flour:
   -- 1 cup flour
   -- some bread crumbs
   -- 1 tsp. salt
   -- 1/4 tsp. pepper
   -- 1/8 tsp. ginger
-- Brown the chicken in 1/4 cup butter.
-- Put chicken pieces into a glass casserole dish and set aside.
-- Simmer in the chicken drippings until golden:
   -- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
   -- 1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
   -- 1 clove minced garlic (I added a bit more garlic, yum yum)
   -- 1 1/2 tsp. curry
   -- 1/2 tsp. thyme
-- Add 2 cups stewed tomatoes and simmer until the pan is deglazed.
   (I have no idea what "deglazed" means.) At about this time you
   might think about turning the oven on to 350 degrees.
-- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
-- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
-- 5 minutes before it's done, sprinkle 3 tblsp. currants
   over the chicken.

"Mushrooms Berkeley"

The Vegetarian Epicure, p. 140:

(I multiplied the following recipe by 3)

-- Wash 1 lb. fresh mushrooms and cut in half or quarters.
-- Wash and seed 2 green peppers and cut into 1-inch squares.
-- Peel and chop 1 onion.
-- Sautee the onion in 1/2 cup butter. (You probably don't really
   need this much butter; 1/4 cup would probably do better.)
-- Mix until perfectly smooth:
   -- 2 tblsp. Dijon mustard
   -- 2 tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
   -- a bit of brown sugar (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup, which
      is *way* *way* too much; I used a third as much and it's
      still noticeably sweet)
-- Add to the sauce and stir well:
   -- 3/4 cup red wine
   -- lots of pepper
   -- a little seasoned salt (salt and garlic powder will probably do,
                              or whatever your favorite seasonings are)
-- Add the mushrooms and peppers to the onions and sautee a few minutes.
-- (At this point, you might consider dumping out the excess water that
   has resulted from the sauteeing.  I didn't do that, which is why
   the mushrooms seemed rather soupy.)
-- Add the wine sauce to the veggies.
-- Simmer for 45 minutes.

"Steamed Rice"

This one you can probably figure out.  I used Jasmine rice
(the kind they serve you at Thai restaurants), which is way
tastier than normal rice.  Just remember that you have to add
somewhat less than 2 cups of water per cup of rice. (The package
says 1.5 cups of water but you might try a bit more.)